Military Units Winchester Garrison
Army Training Regiment Winchester Sir John Moore Barracks
Army Training Regiment Winchester ATR(W) is responsible for training Standard Entry and older recruits on the 14 week course prior to Phase 2. Cap badges trained at ATR(W) include: RAC, RA, RE, R Sigs, AAC, RLC, REME, AGC and Army Medical Services. The Main Gate of the barracks is just off Andover Road North (B3420).
The Headquarters and Regimental Admin Office are housed in the first building on your right as you pass through the Main Gate and past the Guard Room. Other key buildings such as HQ Squadron, Training Wing, Quartermaster, Messes, Mace and P&RTC (including swimming pool) are clearly signed inside the Barracks.
Sir John Moore Barracks was officially opened by Her Majesty The Queen in November 1986 as the Light Division Depot. It combined the functions of the former Light Division Depots at Shrewsbury and Winchester.
In April 1993 The Light Division Depot ceased to exist and became one of the five Army Training Regiments responsible for the basic training of all recruits joining the Army.
There are about 240 permanent staff and up to 600 recruits under training at any one time.
ATR(W) Winchester offers Soldiers under training and Permanent Staff and their families a host of facilities. As well as modern accommodation, there is a Mace shop, swimming pool, gym, weights room, climbing wall, ten pin bowling alley and restaurant.
The Welfare Team at ATR(W) Winchester consist of a Welfare Officer, Welfare Warrant Officer and one civilian staff. They are responsible for the assistance and advice given when dealing with the welfare issues of Soldiers under training, permanent staff and their families. An immediate ‘drop in’ service is available, although it is preferred that those requiring assistance make an appointment first.
The Hampshire Chronicle records the 1841 summer manoeuvres of the Hampshire Yeomanry taking place across the Flowerdown, the site of the new Sir John Moore Barracks. However, it was not until 1914 that the site was purchased by the War Office from the Deane family of Littleton Farm. It was first used as a military camp by the Royal Flying Corps. The earliest recorded Light Division connection is May 1915 when 7th Battalion The King’s Shropshire Light Infantry staged through Flowerdown on its way via Southampton to the battlefields of France.
After the First World War the site became a Royal Air Force Apprentices’ Training College. In 1930 the Royal Navy took it over as a radio station and named it HMS
Flowerdown. It remained a Naval radio station until the early 1960s when the Home Office, supported by the Royal Corps of Signals, changed it to a communications and monitoring station. It continued in this role until 1976, and in 1982 it was designated as the site of the new Depot for The Light Division.
Peninsula Barracks Winchester
This is the site of the former Light Division Depot which was vacated in 1986 on the move to Sir John Moore Barracks. Peninsula Barracks now houses the following
Regimental Headquarters and Museums:
• Kings Royal Hussars
• The Rifles
• The Gurkhas
• The Adjutant General’s Corps
The Museums are open to the public on most days and the entrance is off the Romsey Road adjacent to the railway line.
Searles House is the Museum of the Royal Hampshire Regiment. The Museum is open to the public on most days with the entrance on Southgate Street, 100 yards from the High Street.
Military Units within Worthy Down
Worthy Down currently houses the Defence School of Personnel Administration (DSPA) and the Food Services Wing (FSW), which is part of the Defence Logistics School (DLS).
The DSPA is comprised of the Personnel Administration Training Wing (PATW), the Army School of Education (ASE) and the Training Management Support Wing (TMSW)
Made up of four Squadrons, the Wing delivers Phase 2 and 3 professional training to Officers and other ranks from the Army and the RAF.
Made up of four key areas TMSW provides Student administration, Training Design, QA/Exams and also runs the Training Innovation Centre. It provides all course related support and instructors in PATW and ASE.
FSW / CTS (RAF)
Provides Phase 2 & 3 Chef and Caterer training. The facilities make the FSW one of the most modern food services schools in Europe. There are 14 superb kitchen classrooms, a Realistic Work Environment (RWE) dining area and an extensive field training area.
Made up of three Wings, the ASE provides developmental training for potential Officers, two mathematics and electronics training for the Army’s Technical Corps, and professional branch training for the Army’s Education Officers.
Worthy Down, home of the Adjutant General’s Corps, is located in pleasant Hampshire downland some four miles North of Winchester on the old A34 road, near South Wonston.
There have been military buildings on the WD Site since 1917 and there have been several rebuilds the most recent being in the 1960’s, with only a few more recent additions. A large Service Families Accommodation patch was built along Connaught Road and two further housing areas support Worthy Down, in nearby Barton Stacey and Harestock. St Andrew’s Garrison Church is of a unique design and situated on Connaught Road. There are excellent sports facilities on the camp, which are available for hire to civilian clubs and including a cricket pitch and sports pavillion, a floodlit astro turf, tennis and squash courts. There is also a café “The Belgae” and Post Office on site which are open weekdays and the Sports Pavilion is available for Permanent Staff and family use as well as for bespoke functions. All this, together with other social amenities and facilities for sport, provide the soldiers, civil servants and families with opportunities to live comfortable and active lives whilst at Worthy Down.
The Worthy Down site is now part of The Defence College of Logistics and Police Administration which comprises the Defence School of Personnel Administration including the Staff and Personnel Support Training School, the Army School of Education and the Training Support Unit Worthy Down. Additionally the Food Services Wing, which is part of the Defence School of Logistics whose Headquarters is in Deepcut, is based in Worthy Down and has been joined by the Catering Training Squadron from Royal Air Force Halton.
Prior to 1917 Worthy Down contained the racecourse known as The Worthy Downs. In September 1917 the Royal Flying Corps took up residence establishing the Wireless and Observers School. On formation of the Royal Air Force in 1918 it housed the Royal Air Force and Army Cooperative School. Thereafter it was a Royal Air Force station until 1939 when it was transferred to the Royal Navy and given the title of HMS Kestrel, as a shore based establishment. In 1952 it was renamed HMS Ariel II when it became the Naval Air Electrical School. It remained as such until the Royal Army Pay Corps arrived in December 1960 and Worthy Down passed over to the Army. In 1992 Worthy Down became the home of the Adjutant General’s Corps on the amalgamation of the Royal Army Pay Corps, the Womens Royal Army Corps, Royal Military Police, Military Provost Staff Corps, Royal Army Education Corps and the Army Legal Corps.
Worthy Down is also home to the Band of the Adjutant General’s Corps. It formed on 6 April 1992 and moved its home to Worthy Down in 1995. The band is frequently seen supporting local events in Winchester and Hampshire.
In 1970 the Royal Army Pay Corps was granted the Freedom of Winchester and in 1978 it celebrated its centenary with a Freedom Parade through the City. In 1996, representatives of all elements of the Adjutant General’s Corps paraded through Winchester to mark the transfer of the Freedom of the City to the Adjutant General’s Corps. The Freedom of the City was exercised again in 2008.