History of Bramcote Station
Bramcote is one of the few stations still in operation which has been occupied by all three services during its lifetime, rst by the Royal Air Force, then the Royal Navy (Fleet Air Arm) and then the Army (Junior Leaders’ Regiment Royal Artillery and 30th Signal Regiment).
The decision to build the aireld appears to have been made in 1936 although the process of buying up land had been going on for sometime before that. The purchase included the whole of Wolvershill Hall Estate, Bradley House, Bradley House Farm, Ryton Fields Farm, Bramcote Fields Farm, Bramcote Hill Farm and Bramcote House Farm. This included the ‘upper’ part of the hamlet of Bramcote – of which nothing now remains.
The very last tenanted houses of Top Bramcote (four ages) was demolished in the late 1970s. They had been used as Sub-standard quarters until then. Lower Bramcote still exists on the B4114 but only one house and cottage are of any age. Top Bramcote was situated roughly where the Saddle Club now stands, which included Bramcote House itself.
Many of these original buildings were razed to the ground at the time of construction.
The aireld was to be known as Bulkington Aireld, but on the 14 October 1938 the name was changed to Bramcote (the postal district) due to the disbandment of the parish of Bulkington.