Naval Families Federation
The Naval Families Federation exists to speak up for Naval Service families. They represent their views and experiences to those who make the policies and decisions that affect them.
They meet regularly with the Chain of Command, Government Ministers, Other Government Departments and other key stakeholders.
They offer a confidential service to people who contact us. We work to build and maintain the trust of everyone we work with and support.
One of the ways in which they are able to capture evidence about how you are finding life as part of a serving family is by carrying out anonymous surveys. They take your feedback to those in positions of power– the Chain of Command, Government Ministers, other Government departments, local authorities and civilian service providers. This enables decision makers to take your views into account. Examples of the surveys that they ran last year include:
• Future of Accommodation – In order to inform the development of the Future Accommodation Model, they consulted with families via a survey. Thousands responded and the results have been crucial in the accommodation consultation process, ensuring that Naval Service families’ views are heard and taken into account.
• Childcare – this survey looked at childcare provision for the children of RNRM families across the UK and overseas. It was clear from the responses that cost and flexibility were key issues, which were raised with the Chain of Command. They passed the results to the Directorate of Children and Young People(DCYP) who have taken them into consideration in the development of the MOD’s first Childcare Policy.
• Wearing of Unearned Medals – they were invited by the House of Commons Defence Select Committee to give the views of Royal Navy and Royal Marines families on the wearing of unearned medals and the proposals brought forward by the Awards for Valour (Protection) Bill. Their findings were used in the House of Commons debate and were published in their final report.
• Armed Forces Pay Award – When the Armed Forces Pay Award 2017 was announced they asked for your feedback. They had many valuable responses which they will be taking forward to the Armed Forces Pay Review Body later this year.
• Transition – Along with Army and RAF counterparts, they’re running a two year Transition project, to gain a better understanding of the Transition process. If you’re leaving the Service or you know someone who is by May 2018, please e-mail Lucy Heaver, Transition@nff.org.uk or call 023 9265 4374. There will be a Transition survey which will go live in September 2017, the results of which will be used to identify potential issues or challenges families may face within the Transition process.
• Armed Forces Covenant – Their next survey will be on the Armed Forces Covenant, so please look out for this; by participating with your invaluable feedback, they can continue to inform policies and decisions that affect Naval Service personnel and their families