The Royal British Legion
The Royal British Legion is the UK’s leading Service charity providing financial, social and emotional support to millions who have served and are currently serving in the Armed Forces, and their dependants.
What can we do? We can offer financial aid in an urgent crisis, or help homeless ex-Service people get back on their feet and we have an arrangement with the Citizen’s Advice Bureau to assist those who are unable to manage their debt. We advise people on compensation claims and War Pensions, and offer careers advice for those looking to make a fresh start after leaving the Forces. We can provide short and long term care in our homes, and offer short breaks and pilgrimages to war cemeteries worldwide. We assist estranged families with relocation from service quarters and have a facility which provides free week long holidays at five locations to children of serving and ex-service personnel, which includes all activities,meals, a day at a theme park and spending money. And earlier this year, the Legion made its 10,000th payment to serving personnel.
In addition to this direct support,the RBL has another critical role, that of lobbying the Governmenton behalf of the Services to ensure that service people get a fair deal. Some of the key features of our current campaign are shown below:
• To improve and keep the Armed Forces CompensationScheme under continual review.
• Stop breaches of harmony guidelines (deployment rates)in order to reduce family separation and breakdown.
• Provide bereaved Armed Forces families withindependent legal advice during inquests.
• Introduce an Independent Advisory Committee on Military Deaths.
• Make NHS priority treatment work for veterans withinjuries caused by Service in the Armed Forces.
• Tackle poverty among older veterans and widows.
For more information about the Royal British Legion visit www.britishlegion.org.uk
Shoulder To Shoulder With All Who Serve
The Royal British Legion is dedicated to helping members of the Armed Forces, Veterans and their families, in anyway we can.
The Legion provides a wide range of support including:
• Immediate Needs Grants for those in urgent need
• War Pensions, War Widowers/Pensions and Compensation Advice (including Armed Forces Compensation Scheme)
• Career Advice and Employment Support (through www.civvystreet.org) including training grants and the “Be the Boss” scheme (financial support and advice for starting up your own business)
• Benefits and Money Advice through CAB Richmondshire
• Homelessness and Prisoner Support
• Residential Care Homes (7 in the UK, with respite daycare and dementia care services)
• Independent Legal Advice Service to assist with coroners courts following any in-service death
• Family Holiday Breaks
• Adventure Training Holidays for children
As well as offering support, the Legion also campaigns on behalf of the Armed Forces and its ‘Honour the Covenant campaign has achieved significant improvements to the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme.
The Legion is also investing £50 million to run the Personnel Recovery Centres in partnership with the British Army.
For more information or advice contact:
Andy Dixon, Regional Publicity and Membership Officer,based at Hipswell Lodge
Tel: 07796 194 039 email@example.com or Bev Davies, North Yorkshire County Welfare Officer,Tel: 01940 670 339 option 1, firstname.lastname@example.org