241 Signal Squadron, 10th Signal Regiment.
241 Signal Squadron was created in its current guise at MOD Corsham in 2006. Since then it has moved a number of times in search of a permanent home. In 2014, 241 Signal Squadron was relocated to St George's Barracks in Bicester to provide a new permanent location. The role of the Squadron in to provide specialist fixed communications cabling and Information Communication Systems (ICS) to the wider Armed forces globally.
The Squadron is made up of Royal Corps of Signals Installation Technicians, a trade group which traces its lineage though Royal Signals Telecommunications Mechanics, Royal Signals Cable Jointers, Royal Signals Linemen, Royal Engineers Telegraphy installers, right back to Military Electric Telegraph Cablemen who expanded the civilian Empire Underwater Telegraph system into the Crimea in 1835. Since the invention of Telegraph, Telephone and latterly Data communications the Army has had a need for skilled tradesmen to utilise these technologies.
To date every Operation worldwide in the last 150 years has encompassed a number of Installation Technicians in one form or another, from Telegraph cabling in the Crimea to Fibre Optic Installations in Afghanistan, we have been there providing a robust and professional service in every climatic condition imaginable.
The Squadron is rightfully proud of its forebears and their achievements, but is constantly keeping one eye on the training and development of its soldiers for future Operations. The dawn of the communications age and the rapidly developing technologies mean that staying ahead of the game is no small feat. Already for the next 12 months we are planning and preparing for deployments to 13 countries with the potential to cover a number of others.