Home-Start offers support, friendship and practical help to parents with young children in local communities throughout the UK and with British Forces in Germany and Cyprus.
Home-Start offers a unique service. We recruit and train volunteers who are usually parents themselves to visit families with at least one child under five, at home, and offer them informal, friendly and confidential support.
Home-Start Schemes are rooted in the communities they serve. They are managed locally, but supported by the national organisation: this offers direction, training, information and guidance and ensures consistent and quality support for parents and children wherever they are.
Home-Start has a proven, lasting, positive impact on the development of children and the health and welfare of the family.
We help to increase the confidence and independence of families by:
• Visiting families in their own homes to offer support, friendship and practical assistance
• Reassuring parents that their childcare problems are not unusual or unique
• Encouraging parents’ strengths and emotional well-being for the ultimate benefit of their children
• Trying to get the fun back into family life
Our volunteers, who have parenting experience themselves, can offer:
• Precious time for listening and talking
• Help with the children
• A break for parents
• Practical help and reassurance
• A chance to meet other parents in similar situations
• Support to use local services and resources
Parents ask for Home-Start’s help for all sorts of reasons:
• They may feel isolated in their community, have no family nearby and be struggling to make friends
• They may be finding it hard to cope because of their own or a child’s physical or mental illness
• They may have been hit hard by the death of a loved one
• They may be really struggling the with emotional and physical demands of having twins or triplets – perhaps born into an already large family
For more information and to find your local Home-start scheme
Tel: 0116 464 5490
or visit www.home-start.org.uk